Wednesday, September 7, 2011

All those little things

Today’s post will be dedicated to all the small things I see or experienced on a regular basis that help put a smile on my face. There are many beautiful moments and if I don’t capture them here, I fear I’ll forget them and they will be lost in my memory without making it to your imagination, so here we go…to beauty

First, the village women: 246796 [1600x1200]They are splendid. They are strong and age much faster in country like this one, but they have wisdom. Most spend the day working, carrying a baby on their back while doing all their tasks and caring for their other kids who play around. They have an amazing smile and a lot of charisma. I truly am amazed by them. Every morning I observe them while doing my tasks. They are awake a 5am and work at home or at the market all day. Even when they are sick or when one of theiIMG_2232 [1600x1200]r children kept them up all night, they are friendly, gorgeous and strong. They remind me a lot of my own mother who grew up in conditions fairly similar. I see a lot of her in them, might be a reason why I love to be around them and why they bring me back on my feet when I feel sad.

The young kids: Once they are done with the “Muzungu Boooo” or “Helloooooo”, I love IMG_1658 [1600x1200]them. I love looking at them play together and fighting over a piece of plastic or anything. They don’t need much, they are so friendly. Kids here have to help their mom a lot, even at a young age. It is not rare to see a three years old sweeping the yard or carrying stuff on their head. The little girls will start carrying the other babies on their back, cooking and helping when they are about seven. Many more parents are sending their kids to school now a days, even their daughters, but there is a long way to go to improve education. They play, they laugh, they fight, they yell, they fall…then they get up and play again…

The markets with its bulk food, second hand stuff and small restaurants. I IMG_1638 [1600x1200]love to go their for lunch and wander around to get my food to cook at night, finding cloths in the piles of stuff while chatting with the ladies. Good way to observe the reality of the people living here.

The tailors and their patience. First they fix the clothes you buy at the market that need alteration, but they also make clothes for a ridiculously low price. I can design and draw my clothes and they’ll make them. Sometimes they look amazing, sometimes it takes a few try to get the right look, but I love, love that… don’t want to go back to Canada, tailors are too expensive! haha. Ok I could learn how to do it myself and get a sewing machine. I might actually.

The goats, especially the baby goats…. what else is there to say. I laugh every time I see a goat, they are clumsy and so so cute. They are every where around except  maybe in cities. Even my house in Senga Bay and my office are often visited by village goats.

The randomness of life here: the weekends that bring friends and activities that you didn’t know you could do here; the people you meet who are often really nice and have awesome stories to tell (not talking about the annoying drunk dudes or annoying men asking you a a ton of questions and won’t let go who I’m scared of); the food you are craving that you can end up doing if creative enough; the slow pace of life when you are not in a hurry, or if you are too stressed, it forces you to calm down; the generosity of people when you need them to help you; the lake…

Enjoy the little things, enjoy the beauty in them, and smile!
Ge

No comments: