Thursday, September 15, 2011

When life tips over and flips

This morning I woke up, made some rice, stopped at the market to buy a few bottles of Fanta, then before heading to work, biked to the hospital to visit my neighbour and friend. I wanted to bring her some food and drinks, and moral support, even if only in my broken chichewa! Her, her husband and two of their relatives had a big accident on Monday night coming back from a funeral a couple hours away in the box of a pickup truck (matola). My host sister went to the same funeral but luckily came back earlier. Apparently, the matola they were on was going fast on the narrow road when they met a car that was also going too fast. The matola tried to move on the side of the road to prevent a collision with the car, but the old and unstable vehicle couldn’t handle this sudden turn: it tipped and flipped a few times. Things would have been so much worst though if they would have hit the car. My friend has a broken arm, hit her head and has a bunch of scratches; her husband is worst, he has a dislocated shoulder, a broken collar bone, a broken jaw and a lot of scratches. He is still waithing for an xray of the sholder, but the power is not strong enough right now, even with the back up generator to de xrays!! ahhh, this is Africa. But no one died, lost a part of their body, damaged their brain or eyes, so in a few months they will both be back on their feet. My friend Flora is taking care of their three kids and people from the village are taking turns to visit them and bring food, drinks, wash their clothes and sheets and assist them. They should be out in a few days. 

It was my first time visiting people at the hospital. I was shocked. I already knew that the hospital does not take care of anything else than treating the patients, which means that family and friends need to bring food, drinks and help with showering and other stuff. There are many things about the situation that never crossed my mind before this morning as I was taking them for granted. Here is a description of the scene so you can better understand. First, it is really hot in Salima, and particularly in the building. Then no one as a room, the male are on one side of the hospital, in a sort of dorm room and the women on the other side, in the same type of room. I first went to the men’s dorm and saw a bunch of old metal beds with small mattresses. Then went to the women’s to realize that they don’t have any mattress or pillow, they are either on the floor or on a metal bed frame. There is no TV, no AC, no ventilation, no bug nets and no screens in the windows. Your visitors have to bring you blankets and pillows, otherwise you have nothing. This is sad. I realize that if it was me there, hurt and in one of those bed, I would be crying. I thought to myself that they were lucky that the accident happened close enough from their family and friends because it could have happened anywhere else and they would have been admitted in another hospital. It got me to think a lot. I travel a lot, so things like this could happen to me and then I would be on my sad little bed, with no blankets or pillow and no mattress, with no one to take care of me and bring me food. I’d eventually be transfer to a better hospital because we have insurances, but that wouldn’t help the situation, here in Malawi, and in many countries of Africa, you need a full time visitor to be with you and help you, otherwise, you don’t get food, drinks or showers. It made me feel far away from home. So next time you complain about the health system, realize that it could be worst if you were somewhere else in the world.

Ge

1 comment:

Astelin said...

I really liked your article.