Monday, August 29, 2011

Global engineers or global friends?

So let me go back in time a bit and explain why our team left to go to Zambia: July 20 2011, riots and protests against the government in Malawi; another protest was planned for August 18, but the President got a court injunction on August 17 to prevent the demonstrations from happening. The protest is being postponed until September 17. Things are calm in Malawi now, but still unpredictable. There are still major problems with diesel and petrol and electricity. Bingu dissolved his entire cabinet and is now running the different ministries by himself. Not sure yet if this is good or bad news; is he trying to rebuild his government stronger and better or is he trying to become a dictator with all the power?? Anyways, we decided to evacuate the country just before the August protests, but it got cancelled at the last minute and we were already in Zambia having intense meetings. It was good though to all be together and have in depth discussions about our team strategy and culture as well as our future. It was also extremely enjoyable to take a few days to go discover South Luangwa. IMG_1744 [1600x1200]I went with Duncan, a friend and colleague who is based in Mzuzu, and his sister who was visiting from Vancouver. Being with them and hearing them talk about their childhood and memories as brother and sister made me realized a lot of things. First, I miss my family and friends from Canada; second, I will never be able to do anything similar and feeling that connected with the members from my family, and it made me miss my lovely sister a lot. I realized that I might never go back to Quebec City and will always have to live far from them, that we don’t enjoy the same type of life and trips so it will always be harder on our relationship, but harder doesn’t mean impossible, it will simply take more energy, understanding and love. Je m’ennuie de vous ma chere famille, mais c’est la vie, on devra s’y faire. Merci pour votre support et votre amour. Mel, s’etait cool de jaser avec toi dimanche et d’ententre la voix de Louis et Thomas! Je vous aime. I also realized that moving to Malawi was actually easier than moving to Vancouver. It took me a while to understand why that was, but now I get it. When I moved to Vancouver, I was alone in the city. I knew no one, I was having a tough time adjusting to my work and finding my place. Most of my coworkers were hard to connect to as they were eating in front of their computers and rarely going out or doing activities outside of work. It took me a few months to make good friends there, but eventually it happened and now I miss them tons. Arainn, Amber, Andrew, Erik, Krista, Brian, Shawn, Adrien…(too bad that Amber left Golder, it won’t be the same without you to chat with everyday). I had to change my day to day language and speak English all the time, which was extremely challenging. I had a knee injury and could enjoy winter sports at all. I felt so lonely, so useless. Eventually with time, I started developing good and genuine friendship. Thanks particularly to Lauren, Grace, Sarah and somehow Andrew for making me feel part of your life when I really needed you, doing so many awesome things together and introducing me to your friends and family. I thought for the longest time that I would move back to Quebec, but all of you guys made all the difference in the world and made me enjoy BC. Surprisingly, what I now refer to as home is Vancouver, I doubt that I’ll spend my life there (way to expensive), but I’m looking forward to being back. I was so scared to move to Malawi and have to go through this all over again: a long time on my own with no good friends. What I didn’t understand before coming here is that almost everyone IMG_1769 [1600x1200]I would meet is just like me, away from home. My team is incredible: smart, fun and awesome people…we work hard, but we also play hard. Although I’m alone in my district most of the time, I know that I can count on them. This tough, challenging and sometimes hilarious environment speeds up the process of building strong relationships (and makes good stories to remember down the road!). You need those friends and network to go through it, to go through the rollercoaster. I feel better now with IMG_1748a [1600x1200]the idea of moving through the world, I came to understand that I’ll eventually end up having great friends and creating a balanced life wherever I’ll be.

I have been here for six months now, I feel good, I’m healthy and happy with my decision of taking a year off from my life back in Canada to explore other avenues and push my thinking. I’m not doing exactly what I want and thought I would be doing workwise, but I am learning on a lot of things that I would not have learnt otherwise. I’m opening my eyes to a new reality, to new challenges and new ways.

1 comment:

Angelina Keffi said...

There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Obesity, Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria, Impotence Fertility,Protoplasmic, Diarrhea. Herpatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone, Cystic Fibrosis, Schizophrenia, Cirrhosis,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Cornelia Disease, Weak Erection. Ovarian problem,  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. Bronchial Problem,  HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism,  Impotence, thyroid, Autism, Sepsis Bacteria,  Penis enlargement, Prostate Problem,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.