Sunday, March 6, 2011

And up we go!

Morning number three, beatiful sunny day. So far, I got to the hospital for minor problems, got biten by bed begs, got a sun burn, got a hot shower and had a lot of fun during my in country training. I even had  few lessons of Chichewa, I’ll have to learn and most importantly remember what I’m learning. It is not an easy language, or I should say that the structure of the language is completely, completely different than any language I know.

Anyway, I don’t have a ot of time to chat with you guys this morning, but I just wanted to give a quick update so thay you know what’s happening.

The flights and lay over were long but good and nothing happened. We’ve been in Lilongwe since Thursday. We had training and dinner with our team members. Today, I’m leaving for Nkata Bay by bus (or mini-vus, not sure!) until Wednesday. I’ll be shadowing Devon (another EWB staff) in is day to day work and life. I’ll also stay in a village for a night or two! Yay. Oh, yeah, and just so you know, Nkata Bay is by Malawi Lake and it is suppose to be warm and gorgeous, I might have my first swim. On Wednesday night there is a meeting in Mzuzu with Duncan (EWB) and Jim from Water For People, shall be interesting. We’ll be back for a team meeting in Lilongwe on Friday. Then sometimes next week, I’ll be heading north for a month to do a research project. I’ll have to learn Tumbuka (language spoken in the north). The project is about the willingness of the communities to pay for their water and waterpoint repairs as they are suppose to, but it is so far not working well and not everywhere. I’ll update you on that later. I’ll have to go on the field with a motorcycle (and my helmet!), talk to people and everything. I can’t wait. After that month, I’ll be placed somewhere else for three months at least starting to work in my placement. And, sorry folks, I still don’t know where this will be as there are many possibilities, I’ll know next weekend I think.

Ok, so I have to go, I have a morning meeting with Owen.

Talk to you soon

Ge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing! At this point it seems like a holiday, but I'm sure that'll change fast! Lots of hard work ahead... Hope you've got a smile on your face, best wishes - EvK